Do Peppermint Oil, Moth Balls, Sonic Devices or other Mouse and Rat Repellents work?
The short answer is no. Despite the frequency with which these solutions are suggested on the internet there is little scientific evidence to support their efficacy.
In fact, the Internet Center for Wildlife Damage Management, a university based organization whose mission is to “consolidate existing and future information on integrated pest management (IPM) in wildlife damage management,” has conducted extensive research on the topic of mouse repellents and states that there are “No effective ones known, including sonic devices.” This includes, Peppermint Oil, Moth Balls, Dryer Sheets, ultrasonic devices and other heavily promoted herbal type pouches and remedies.
The only recognized, effective solution for preventing and controlling a mouse or rat infestation is a three step process consisting of:
- Exclusion: Thoroughly inspect your home from top to bottom looking for gaps 1/4″ or larger. If a pencil eraser can fit through it so can a mouse. Look high and low. Mice can jump 12″ vertically and can climb straight up any rough surface such as bricks and siding. Pay attention to the following areas:
- Sill – the area where the walls meet the foundation.
- Pipes – gaps often exist around pipes (air conditioning, gas, water, etc.) which enter the building.
- Eaves – gaps occur at the soffit level. Remember, mice can climb!
- Doors – be sure that the gap between a door and the floor is filled with stiff brush or other gap filling product.
Xcluder™ is a USDA tested and proven effective method to seal holes and gaps and prevent intrusion of mice and other pests into your home or business.
Why Xcluder™ ?
- Permanently Stops Mice, Rats and Other Pests from Entering Your Home
- USDA Tested and Proven Effective
- Easy to Install
- Will Not Rust or Stain
- No Poison, No Chemicals
- Safe for Kids and Pets
- Trusted by Pest Professionals
Xcluder™ DIY Kit
Xcluder™ Large DIY Kit
What is Xcluder™?
The secret to Xcluder™ is coarse stainless steel wool interwoven with poly fibers. This impenetrable, abrasive barrier prevents rodents and insects from entering without using harmful chemicals or poisons.
Once installed this special blend of poly fibers and stainless steel mesh allows Xcluder™ to spring back and expand guaranteeing a secure fit.
Xcluder is a permanent solution trusted by pest control professionals.This eco-friendly material creates a protective barrier against rodents and insects
Read the USDA Report on Xcluder™
A recent USDA report has found Xcluder to be highly effective pest exclusion material preventing rodents (mice and rats) from entering through cracks and small holes.
How to Keep Mice and Rats out with Xcluder
Where to install Xcluder?
Every building has dozens of potential entry points for critters and pests. We recommend starting with a a thorough outside inspection of your building.
Fill in all cracks and holes even as small as ¼ inch. Small mice can fit through a hole the size of a pencil eraser.
Seal all gaps and holes around windows and doors, between the foundation and the structure and around weep holes. Be sure to seal entry points for electrical service, water, gas and sewer lines (chases) as well.
Mice can climb straight up a wall so don’t forget to seal holes and gaps around the roof, eaves, gables and soffits.
Inside the building, prevent vermin from using walls as hiding places by sealing them up. Common entryways include holes underneath, behind and inside kitchen cabinets; inside closets; around air vents and dryer vents; around the fireplace; around windows and doors; behind appliances, around pipes under the kitchen and bathroom sinks; beneath or behind water heaters, radiators, and furnaces; and around any pipes or conduits that enter the building.
For best results, seal opening only after you’ve baited, trapped and removed the rodents, bats or birds.
How to install Xcluder?
Just follow these 4 easy steps to perform the perfect installation:
- Slip on a pair of the gloves provided in the Xcluder kit. If working above your head, we recommend using safety glasses and other protective gear.
- Use the scissors in the kit to cut Xcluder to 2-3 times the size of the opening.
- Install Xcluder by pressing it into the opening with a blunt tool like the edge of the scissors, a putty knife or screwdriver.
- Pack Xcluder tightly so it is at or slightly below flush to the opening of the surface.
- That’s it. You’re done!
Installation Instructions - Click Image to Enlarge